New Web Site

Tuesday, March 10th, 2009 | General Information

The new site is officially up and running.  We have a few more details to work through like transferring our old guest book, setting up the platoon store and a few more code modifications to make our galleries work the way they are intended.

Big John and Laura Quintrell have been uploading thousands of images.  So stay tuned for some great content about the Wolfhounds!

45 Comments to New Web Site

Lady Laura Wolfhound
March 15, 2009

What a thrill it is to have the Platoon website up and running! It looks beautiful – I hope all the men of the 2nd 27th C Company ’68-’69 will enjoy visiting the site. Thank you, Jake, for all your many hours of hard work getting this site going!

Laura Q

Robie Prater
March 19, 2009

Looking great so glad to see the sucess of finding others

Jim Langley
March 21, 2009

This is the biggest and best web site on the internet for wolfhounds . I know there has been a lot of time and work put into it. I appreciate all you have done and continue to do. I am proud to call you my brother.

Jim Langley

Brandi Glasson
March 21, 2009

I love the new website!!!!! Thanks for all your hard work!!!!

Paul Naso
March 22, 2009

John and Laura,
The website looks great. The work you guys do on the website is exceptional. I look forward to the next website updates.

Regards Paul

Joe Waskom (aka Big Joe)
March 24, 2009

Now you know there is not going to be a place that I can comment on that I’m not going to do so :-). John, Laura and Jake thank you so much for putting this site together, I can only emagine how much work you have put into it an you can only emagine how much I and the other Hounds appreciate it, its fantastic.
LOVE YA
BIG JOE IMPRESSED

Michael Deline (Sodaman)
March 24, 2009

What a marvelous job you have done on the website. Getting anxious for the reunion, as this will be the first I have been able to attend.

Michael H Pounds
April 8, 2009

I have several books written by Wolfhounds-
Vietnam;No Regrets by J Richard Watkins
The Vietnam Worm by James E Johnson, III
I belive both served with 1/27
Excellent reading
Also a fan of all Wolfhounds –
easysplace.com is a favorite site of mine as well-

admin
April 14, 2009

Added pagination to the photo galleries, should make them easier to use especially as John and Laura keep adding more photos!

TW Crowe
May 7, 2009

RVN Dec. 68 – Dec. 69. 1/8 Arty. FSB Jackson, Diamond one & two. Thoroughly enjoyed the website. Saw several pictures & people that I remember. Thanks for putting all this together.

THIS SITE JUST GETS BETTER AND BETTER!! THANK YOU JOHN AND LAURA FOR ALL THE WORK YOU HAVE DONE TO PUT IT TOGETHER.
BIG JOE

Robie Prater
May 24, 2009

John
Stopped by to spend a few minutes with Freddie J Hannah and the other boys that paid the price that I and many like me can have the freedom we so enjoy each day.I thank them and those before and after for our freedom.I thank you and each one that served also for their courage to see it thru and keep us free.

Cal Johnson
June 10, 2009

Computer’s been down for a while…just got it going again. John, you and all the others involved have done a fantastic job on this new website!

Laura Quintrell (Mrs. John Quintrell)
June 24, 2009

Hello everyone! I am updating the Guestbook … adding older entries from the old website, so be patient, as there are many, many of them! As I read and type the old ones into the new site, many bring a tear to my eye and some are very touching and some make me smile … thanks to all of you who have left your info and remarks here. Stay in touch on here and with each other! Love, Lady Laura Wolfhound

Tad Zatowski
August 19, 2009

My father was in the wolf hound platoon his name is David Edward Zatowski he was a Medic.He went two tours i would love to talk to some one that knew him or fought beside him.I am 24 years old and my father took his life on April 12 1990 easter day of all days.I never got to know him and would love to know what happened to him in nam.please email me if you have any information on him.I have alot of pictures of the war and people he served with.

BigJohn Reply:

Hi Tad,
My name is John “Big John” Quintrell and I am the guy that created the website for the Wolfhounds. I was so sorry to hear your Dad committed suicide. So many of our brothers saw too much death and destruction. I understand you have some pictures. Would you be willing to share them with us? Also, When was your Dad in Vietnam? Do you have any old copies of orders he may have sent home? Please call me and we can talk. My phone # is 406-799-6555. Thanks so much for leaving a comment on our website.

Take Care,

Big John

Steve and Kim Tomberlin
November 11, 2009

It was an honor for us to have some of the guys from your platoon stay at Back O The Moon Resort in September. Today, being Veteran’s Day, we would like to thank each and every one of you for serving our country during a very difficult time. We appreciate your service very much and look forward to seeing you again.

Steve and Kim Tomberlin
Back O’ The Moon Resort

Mark Kiesecker
January 11, 2010

Its an honor to have served in the same unit with all of you. I have served two tours in Iraq(30 months). I became friends with Willian Vaught who introduced me to Big Joe Waskom And Big John Quintrell. I Cannot thank you gentlemen enough for your service in Vietnam and to our country. I served in Dco 2/27th IN. I hope to meet all of you someday and here all the stories that Big Joe has about rick galli!

No Fear On Earth

SGT.Kiesecker,Mark E
1st Squad Leader
4th Platoon
D 2/27 INF

Donald w. gifford
February 5, 2010

big john is that you you will know if you answer this 2nd 27th 3rd platoon C co.my # is 918 723 5242

William R. I. "Easy" Smith
February 11, 2010

Yo Big John!

Stopped by as I had not been to the new site. Looking
good.

Take care
Easy!!!!!

JAMES E. PEACOCK (JOHNNY)
February 12, 2010

I DON”T REMEMBER NAMES VERY WELL BUT I DO REMEMBER SGT. RICKER AND BIG DAN . WILL GET BACK LATTER

William T. Vaught
February 18, 2010

What an honor it has been, and will always be, to have connected with all of you. Your comraderie and your friendships are an inspiration to all of us who have fought in “The Greatest Straightleg Grunt Outfit in the U.S. Army, the WOLFHOUNDS. God bless you John and Laura for all your hard work.

Leslie Waggoner
February 18, 2010

1st time to visit the new website. I can tell it took a lot of organizing and time. Kudos to you and others that worked on it. I am looking forward to seeing Mike Deline and everyone at the 2010 Branson Reunion.

Tom Clampitt
March 14, 2010

I was checking my links and see you have a new site. You have done a fantastic job on the new website, and it looks great.

Ronny Dawley (Sgt)
April 6, 2010

Combat Sniper 69-70 Always had a silencer. Pulled guard duty on tower facing Nui Ba Den for last few months. Any one recognize me can call 478-501-1441.

Mike "Sodaman" Deline
June 23, 2010

What to say about the reunion. Those that missed it don’t know what they have missed. I was hesitant about going when I heard about it, but my wife thought it would do me good and I wanted to see some of the guys again. I WILL TELL YOU THIS. THE REUNION DID MORE HEALING THAN ALL THE VA COUNSELORS IN THE WORLD CAN DO. DON’T BE AFRAID TO GO TO THE NEXT ONE. Big John and Laura did such an amazing job of putting this on and getting ready. Thank you so very much. It was as hard to leave the guys this time, as it was when I left them in Nam. You guys that don’t want to talk about it or want to forget it, I CAN GUARANTEE YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY FOR ATTENDING THE NEXT ONE. I needed it as did a bunch of the others and oh, what a relief. I finally, after 42 years found out just how Jackie Morrison died from Jim Marshal (Thank you so much, Jim) I am telling you, if you haven’t attended you need to. You will see a difference in your life.

George Bartlett
November 11, 2010

Hello,

I’m looking for anyone who knew my uncle SGT. Arthur Francis Bartlett. Co C 27 Infantry 25 Infantry Division. He was killed on January 2, 1969 in Hua Nghia South Vietnam. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely, George Arthur Bartlett
gbartlettphoto@comcast.net

Frank Shoemaker Jr
November 29, 2010

Thanks for sharing….feel free to join us on Tour of Duty on Flickr…
And to all my Brothers out there…..Welcome Home, my Brother!

Gary Carpenter
February 2, 2011

I would like to express my thanks to the Quintrells for posting the Viet Nam photos. Capt. Bruce Langaunet was my boyhood friend in Montana. We did our tour together in the Cub Scouts and out of the back of his father’s ice cream truck. Regrettably, the last time I saw Bruce was during his senior year at Montana. I was a freshman starting school after a tour in the Navy. Bruce was about to enter the Army. He was a fine man. The best.

Melinda Paige
March 10, 2011

I am looking for anyone who knew Clarence L. Paige. He went by Lefty. He served in 1967-1968 Charlie Company, 1st-27 Wolfhounds.

lawrence kalchbrenner
September 1, 2011

I am wife of a veteran who served in Vietnam 1967- 1968cry every day for him !! 38 years of marriage !!! who can help 18 years old sent to kill people!! life has BEEN SOS SOS SAD!!!!! NEVER SIGNED UP FOR ASSISTANCE BEEN TOLD CANNOT RECEIVE ANY ASSISTANT WHO CAN HELP US!!! IS THERE A GOD ! ! ! SUCH A GOOD MAN!!! JUST A BABY TO DO SOME DIRTY WORK FOR SOME WHORE MONGER!!!! YOU WANT THE WARS YOU GO AND FIGHT!!!!

Dr.Bob Osenenko
October 17, 2012

I am writing a book on the time period of June 1968 thru May 1969 Co. A 2/27th Wolfhounds.There’s very little in print on Co.A.These dates are when I served there.Looking for original letters between soldiers and their families with a note that you give permission to publish unabridged and date it.I know I am asking alot but its important.The book views Vietnam as part of American life so its not a book on the war,but emphasis on the men, their life there.I will return all letters. Thanks

Dr. Bob Osenenko
January 4, 2013

Web page on following NJ Pinelands inhabitants thru Vietnam service.Details about Co. A 2/27th Inf. are found in 3 chapters.

Dr. Bob Osenenko
April 5, 2013

The publishing of my book is being reviewed by legal.If there are any survivors of Company A 2/27th Infantry Wolfhounds July -68-’69 now would be a good time to email me.I am looking for Andy,Costello,Leroy.I have photos of you.

Dr. Bob Osenenko
November 8, 2013

“Family Faith Land and Mysticism” will be coming out in about 3 weeks on Amazon and Kindle. The book can be read by children (recommend early teens). Some rural folk have said it has similarity to Faith Family Land by the Foxfire Fund Rabun County Georgia. FFLM is a recorded history covering a life span of which Vietnam service with 2/27th Co. A Wolfhounds is a part of a third generation war survivor family. Takes the reader through the New Jersey Veterans Administration and DoD. Twenty photos included. Wolfhounds considering writing & self publishing to preserve history could find our website helpful.

P.J. Weber
January 21, 2014

Good Evening.
My cousin was Kenny Steinhebel and I’m curious whether you might anything you can share with me about his time in Vietnam. It was always too painful for my aunt Sally to talk about, so I figured I might contact you.

P.j. Weber

David
December 5, 2014

I am trying to find either a ‘historical account’ or an ‘eyewitness’ account of a battle that was fought in Tay Ninh Province, during Operation Junction City – the battle took place on February 26, 1967.
I realize your web site is for Wolfhounds who served in Vietnam during 1968 & 1969. But, I am hoping that someone may be able to help as it involves members of your unit.
This fire fight resulted in 4 men of “C Company, 2nd Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, Wolfhounds” being Killed in Action. Those men were:

1) SGT Gary Alan Webb

2) SP4 Manuel Antonio Torrez

3) SP4 Clarence Howard Rickards

4) PFC Bradley Leland Powers

My uncle was also wounded in this fire fight, and was evacuated to a hospital, and sent home due to the serious nature of his wound. I have not been able to find an account of this battle, and have not been able to find a list of ‘Wounded in Action’ either. My uncle has only a vague memory of this event.
I have searched available ‘online’ resources, including the “25 Aviation Battalion” list of “After Action Reports” and the “Vietnam Studies” series – “Cedar Falls – Junction City: A Turning Point” – by Lt. Gen. Bernard William Rogers. This volume is referred to as “the definitive” history of this operation. I have searched every where.
I have located 2 battles fought on February 26, 1967, by elements of the 25th Infantry Division – one involved units of the 1st Brigade, in which 24 men were Killed in Action, and 1st Sgt. Maximo Yabes was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor. The other battle involved units of the 3rd Brigade (which is referred to in the paper by Gen. Rogers), during this battle 5 (but according to info. at the “Virtual Wall” – 7) men were Killed in Action.
I have run every variation of search I can think of in hopes of finding any account of the fire fight in which the 4 men listed above were Killed in Action. But, the 2 battles referred to involving elements of the 1st and 3rd Brigade, 25th Inf. Div., are the only ones I have found.
I am out of ideas about how to trace this event on the ‘internet’ – I have no idea where to go next, any direction or information would be very much appreciated. My uncle is now 72 years old, and has a strong desire to know the circumstances of this fire fight. PFC Powers was his best friend. I am not about to give up but, as I said, I would appreciate any help anyone could offer.
My uncles’ Platoon Leader, 1st Lt. Harry Ray Stewart, was also Killed in Action during ‘Junction City’, on March 10, 1967, by a fragmentation grenade, but I assume someone would still have submitted an “After Action Report” or “incident Report” after this action.
Obviously, an account by a participant in that battle would be excellent, but, even a short historical description, or some type of “incident report” would be great.

David

PFC Borscheid
April 5, 2015

I was in Nam 70-71 . 2/27 Wolfhounds,company C, hq platoon,radio operator

PFC Borscheid
April 5, 2015

Nam 70-71 2/27 wolfhounds,company C hq platoon, radio operator

Chuck Dean
June 25, 2015

I am looking for information on one Robert Bruce Cohen, Robert fell on 5/12/68 and is featured on you video 49 from the one Platoon. I put out notification on my FB page. Robert’s daughter is searching for someone who knew her father. She never had the opportunity of meeting him.
If you request a friend on fb I can send you contact information.
By the way I was with A Co 2/27, and was the point man trying to get to you guys at Operation Attleboro.
To all my brothers in Wolfhounds, Welcome Home.
Love to hear from you guys.
Nec Aspera Terrent
Chuck Dean
pywhackit@aol.com

Fred M Kramer
March 18, 2016

Joined C/2/27 as an ’11B’ sometime during 03/1968. Members of unit were still mourning loss of well liked ‘M60 gunner’ among others. Sorry I do not remember specific names. Went to the ‘field’ immediately after arriving at ‘Cu-Chi’ basecamp.

Fred M Kramer Nickname Rabbi
November 19, 2016

I was with C/2/27 from March 1968 until I was wounded on June 13 1968 and evacuated to Yokosuka Japan. We served with some great soldiers and I would like to hear from ‘Herb Nye’, a ‘silver star winner’ and one of our very best.

Fred M Kramer Nickname Rabbi
November 19, 2016

‘Wolfhounds Forever!’

Fred M Kramer Nickname Rabbi
January 17, 2017

Comment for ‘Patrick Fitzgerald’ KIA 5/11/1968.
Our small element of C/2/27 ‘Wolfhounds’ were heading towards a suspicious looking tree line in our area of operation. Patrick Fitzgerald was on my left side and was KIA when we received enemy fire from a reinforced bunker to our direct front. The remaining portion of our element returned fire eliminating the exposed enemy in the bunker.

Fred M Kramer Nickname Rabbi
February 17, 2017

Trying to contact our medic from 1968 in C/2/27 DOC TURNER. Please contact Fred Kramer at zbkramer@gmail.com